Noticias:

I'm gonna build a big, great wall, the best wall, and Memnoch is going to pay for it.

Menú Principal

The English thread

Iniciado por Divarascka, 17 de Noviembre de 2010, 01:13

0 Miembros y 1 Visitante están viendo este tema.

Bill

I didn't notice the existance of this thread. I don't understand why the people here write in a defensive way, with small phrases, without working their hearts out to practice. (Work the heart out to + infinitive = Poner toda la carne en el asador en ...)

By the way, beware of the use of a gerund after the "will", because it's not allowed:

Cita de: Minerva en 07 de Octubre de 2012, 18:44
I can't remember, but I will downloading it as soon as I look at my notebook. (Notebook of paper, not pc)

If you want to build a future form, then the correct way to do it is "will + infinitive". For example:

I will download it...

You can use the gerund as a noun, being object of the verb, but then you need a main verb for the action. In this case, the verb that will fit better, is "start":
I will start downloading it...

I must thank Start Trek The Original Series for teaching me english during my childhood.

Calabria

You've forgotten the "I'm+gerund" future form, which fits in this case too: "I'm downloading it..."
And we don't write in a defensive way, we just chat in the same way we do in the entire forum but in english.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Mr Winters

Existence, not existance.

Cita de: Bill en 05 de Noviembre de 2012, 10:56
I don't understand why the people here write in a defensive way, with small phrases, without working their hearts out to practice

This started as a forochat thread in Offtopic, I guess it will just remain that way. Personally I don't come here to practice my English because I already do that in other websites and at university, and anyway I don't really feel the need to practice, I think- and I don't mean to sound arrogant- I'm already good enough at it.

Bill

Cita de: Calabria en 05 de Noviembre de 2012, 13:17
You've forgotten the "I'm+gerund" future form, which fits in this case too: "I'm downloading it..."

This is the present progressive (continuous) form. It's present, you're downloading it at this moment.

To add the inmediate future form to the present continuous you need to add the "action", for example "I'm going to download it". You're not downloading it at this moment, but you will download it in a near future.

I'm sorry, I didn't notice that this was "forochat".... I thought that it was to practice the written language. Sorry again.

Mr Winters

Well, who says you can't practice while doing "forochat"? The mere act of doing it in English involes practicing.

Calabria

Cita de: Bill en 05 de Noviembre de 2012, 13:30
Cita de: Calabria en 05 de Noviembre de 2012, 13:17

This is the present progressive (continuous) form. It's present, you're downloading it at this moment.

To add the inmediate future form to the present continuous you need to add the "action", for example "I'm going to download it". You're not downloading it at this moment, but you will download it in a near future.
From my english book:
The present continuous is used to talk about future arrangements wich have already been made. Example: Sue and Alan are getting married on June 21st
You can say that download something it's not exactly an arrangement, but the present continuous it's a correct form to express future in some situations.

Vandemar

I think that you only can use the ing when is an arrangement (for example: We're meeting this night) but not in other cases.

Bill

Cita de: Calabria en 05 de Noviembre de 2012, 13:51
From my english book:
The present continuous is used to talk about future arrangements wich have already been made. Example: Sue and Alan are getting married on June 21st
You can say that download something it's not exactly an arrangement, but the present continuous it's a correct form to express future in some situations.

Take a look to my previous post, and to your post. I talk about the difference of using the present progressive with an action verb and without an action verb, and you present me your example with an "action", as I told before.

You will notice the difference between these two phrases:
- "I'm fucking you in the butt": I started to fuck your anus a moment ago, i'm actually fucking your anus, and I will be fucking your anus in the future until I cum. This is present continuous, is actually happening and it will be happening during a little time until a near future.
- "I'm going to fuck you in the butt": I'm not fucking your anus. But prepare, it will be right now. This is the future form, with the action.

Eritea

Hi! :vergu: I want to practice my english but I'm scared because I don't write (or practice) english al least for four or five years :vergu:

Cita de: Khram Cuervo Errante en 13 de Diciembre de 2014, 20:42
Estos son terapéuticos. A Rajoy no puedes llamarle hijoputa sin que te multen. Hacerlo con estos es gratis...

Khram Cuervo Errante

Well, english is not as scary as you are depicting it. English may be worrying, but it is not a halloween monster to scare you.

Edited. I was mistaken.

Últimos mensajes

Adivina la película de Ningüino CDR-lar
[Hoy a las 22:34]

El hilo con el increíble título mutante de Orestes
[Hoy a las 19:24]

¿Cuándo moriremos? de M.Rajoy
[Hoy a las 08:05]

Gran Guía de los Usuarios de 106 de Orestes
[30 de Abril de 2024, 15:15]

Felicidades de Paradox
[29 de Abril de 2024, 12:40]