Noticias:

Acaba de caer Granada, Isabel la Católica se cambia de ropa.

Menú Principal

The English thread

Iniciado por Divarascka, 17 de Noviembre de 2010, 01:13

0 Miembros y 1 Visitante están viendo este tema.

Leinster

What do you think about the syntax of the next sentence?

"This could explain why the reader –who in this case it is me myself, even though I am no native –could find his text slightly difficult to read"

I am unsure of whether it sounds too strange or not, taking into account that it is for an academic review.

Cita de: Wind_Master en 15 de Mayo de 2011, 21:46
Estoy con Sertorio jugando al LOL, que tengo más vida, ¿vale?
Cita de: Khram Cuervo Errante en 20 de Septiembre de 2011, 19:12
¿SU PUTA MADRE EN VINAGRE VA PEDALEANDO POR LAS CALLES MÁS ANGOSTAS DE LA JUBILADA ITALIA?

Mr Winters

"who in this case it is me myself"

This sounds weird. At the very least I'd get rid of the pronoun "it", it's redundant.

I'd say something like "This could explain why the reader –that is/that is to say, myself..." and maybe drop the "myself" and go third person ("the author of this essay" and shit like that), since formal writing is not supposed to be in first person.

But maybe it doesn't have to be super formal like that so dunno.

Leinster

Cita de: Wind_Master en 15 de Mayo de 2011, 21:46
Estoy con Sertorio jugando al LOL, que tengo más vida, ¿vale?
Cita de: Khram Cuervo Errante en 20 de Septiembre de 2011, 19:12
¿SU PUTA MADRE EN VINAGRE VA PEDALEANDO POR LAS CALLES MÁS ANGOSTAS DE LA JUBILADA ITALIA?

Paradox

"Me myself" is ok? I googled a little and only found references about movies or so meaning a kind of egocentric expression.
I am not under any orders to make the world a better place.

Idunne

"This could explain why the reader –who in this case it is me myself, even though I am no native –could find his text slightly difficult to read"

Unless it is extremely important who the reader is, I'd get rid of the explanatory note:

"This could explain why one could find his text slightly difficult to read".

The "could" already provides enough room for the statement to be understood as a possibility, not as a certainty. Also, the repetition of "could" may be bypassed by using "might" (although I would go further and not write it), thus:

"This (might) explain(s) why one could find his text slightly difficult to read" .

Also, I assume that your intention is to clarify that the text is not really elaborated but that it has some insights or stuff like that. If that is not your idea, I'd do either:

"This explains why one could find the text slightly difficult" (you're assuming thus that "one" is not obviously the author).

or:

"This explains why one could find the/its reading slightly difficult" (hence clarifying that one is the reader).

If you really want to get rid of everything vaguely superfluous:

"This (could/might) explain(s) why its/the reading might/could be slightly difficult".

If you want to use another verb that already has the idea of not being fully bulletproof, I'd use "This makes clearer why..."

It is important to get to the point ASAP. Journals (and committees, for what is worth) are pretty straight-forward on not letting any extra-wording into their pages.

Hope I've been helpful!  ^^:

raul_isl

What's the difference between "Underpants" and "Underwear" ?
Underpants are underwear?

Paradox

I guess underwear are all the clothes worn "near the skin" not just the underpants.

So I think underpants are a kind of underwear, like women bras.
I am not under any orders to make the world a better place.

Sandman

The Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia

I'd like to thank Anatisog for posting this song on the old ogame forum like a century ago because now it reminds me of old times and that's always welcome.
Blog novela, con zombies:

Mr Winters

Cool song.

Shame most of the threads from the good ol' days have been deleted or reset.

Sandman

Well, I don't care so much about the posts but there are some people that we'll never hear about again.
Blog novela, con zombies:

Últimos mensajes

¿Qué manga estás leyendo? de M.Rajoy
[Ayer a las 11:54]

Gran Guía de los Usuarios de 106 de M.Rajoy
[25 de Abril de 2024, 07:20]

Adivina la película de M.Rajoy
[25 de Abril de 2024, 07:04]

Felicidades de M.Rajoy
[15 de Abril de 2024, 13:54]

Marvel Cinematic Universe de M.Rajoy
[15 de Abril de 2024, 08:52]